Inside Logistics

Done deals: March 18, 2021

Contracts, mergers, acquisitions and big deals in the supply chain sector this week


March 18, 2021
by

Skelton Canada Inc. sold

Andlauer Healthcare Group Inc. has acquired 100 percent of Skelton Canada Inc. and 49 percent of Skelton USA Inc. for approximately $114.7 million. The agreement also includes an option for AHG to acquire the remaining 51 percent of Skelton USA.  The Skelton Companies are specialized in the transportation of refrigerated healthcare products. Founded in 1962, Skelton Canada operates a fleet of approximately 100 vehicles and 120 trailers offering validated temperature control, state-of-the-art security systems and real-time shipment monitoring. It provides cross-border services into 32 U.S. states from its terminals in Toronto and Montreal. The Skelton Companies will continue to operate independently led by president, North America, Ron Skelton and vice-president, Mike Skelton.

Cleveron kiosks

Robotic kiosks that provide automated and contactless grocery pickup for consumers are being sustainably refrigerated by Carrier Transicold NaturaLINE units, which use the natural refrigerant carbon dioxide (R-744). Typically used on marine shipping containers, the units store perishables and now transfer groceries directly from retailer to consumer through a kiosk made by Estonian robotics innovator Cleveron. The Cleveron 501 kiosk offers a convenient and touchless 24/7 alternative to in-store shopping or pickup, as well as home delivery. To date, Cleveron 501 kiosks using Carrier Transicold’s NaturaLINE units have been deployed throughout Europe in grocery/retail environments. The systems have also been deployed in the Middle East, Australia, New Zealand and the United States.

Seaspan orders ships

Seaspan Corporation is acquiring two used 15,000-TEU, scrubber-fitted containerships on long-term charter with a long-standing global liner customer. The vessels, built in 2019, are fitted with efficiency and emissions reduction technologies, and are anticipated to be delivered late in the second quarter of 2021.

Merchants Distributors (MDI) chooses Dematic

Merchants Distributors (MDI), a wholesale grocery distributor, will be introducing an automated mixed-case fulfillment system from Dematic for the renovation and expansion of its primary operations centre. MDI and its parent company Alex Lee, Inc. are based in Hickory, North Carolina, distributing both food and non-food grocery items to more than 600 retail stores across the United States and other locations. The 200,000-square-foot expansion to their ambient-temperature facility and increased capacity will result in 111 new jobs. Dematic iQ software will manage and control an automated system that will palletize 165,000 cases per day (up from the current 125,000), with capacity to reach 200,000 cases per day. The pallets themselves will be more densely packed and shelf-ready for the quickest possible stocking at the stores.

– March 18, 2021